- why from thought should fresh doubt start-- An ever-lengthening cord?
Might he not make my troubled heart
Right sure it was the Lord?
- will not let a smaller boon Hinder the coming best;
A granted sign might all too soon
Rejoice thee into rest.
- could not any sign, though grand As hosts of fire about,
Though lovely as a sunset-land,
Secure thy soul from doubt.
A smile from one thou lovedst well
Gladdened thee all the day;
- doubt which all day far did dwell Came home with twilight gray.
- doubt will come, will ever come, Though signs be perfect good,
Till heart to heart strike doubting dumb,
And both are understood.