- then, my Father, hast thou not A blessing just for me?
Shall I be, barely, not forgot?--
Never come home to thee?
Hast thou no care for this one child,
This thinking, living need?
Or is thy countenance only mild,
Thy heart not love indeed?
- some eternal joy I pray, To make me strong and free;
Yea, such a friend I need alway
As thou alone canst be.
Is not creative infinitude
Able, in every man,
To turn itself to every mood
Since God man's life began?
- thou not each man's God--his own, With secret words between,
As thou and he lived all alone,
Insphered in silence keen?
- God, my heart is not the same As any heart beside;
My pain is different, and my blame,
My pity and my pride!
My history thou know'st, my thoughts
Different from other men's;
Thou knowest all the sheep and goats
That mingle in my pens.
Thou knowest I a love might bring
By none beside me due;
- praiseful song at least might sing Which could not but be new.