Will do: shall know: I feel the force,
The fullness of the word;
- holy boldness held its course, Claiming divine accord.
What if, as yet, I have never seen
The true face of the Man!
- named notion may have been A likeness vague and wan;
A thing of such unblended hues
As, on his chamber wall,
- humble peasant gladly views, And Jesus Christ doth call.
- story I did never scan
With vision calm and strong;
Have never tried to see the Man,
The many words among.
Pictures there are that do not please
With any sweet surprise,
- gain the heart by slow degrees Until they feast the eyes;
- if I ponder what they call The gospel of God's grace,
Through mists that slowly melt and fall
May dawn a human face.
What face? Oh, heart-uplifting thought,
That face may dawn on me
Which Moses on the mountain sought,
God would not let him see!